News

Mom and Pop Pizza Shop at Cobo Fights for Continued Business

Dozens of Detroiters and community activists came together at Cobo Hall today (Monday) to try and keep a 30 year old business from losing its contract. WDET’s Rob St. Mary explains.

"We're not going anywhere! We're not going anywhere!"

Over 50 people came to rally and buy lunch at Simon’s Pizza and Subs on the Cobo concourse. The family owned business opened at Cobo in the early 1980s. When the convention center came under the control of the Regional Authority – owner Larry Simon and his wife Sandy – say their business was put under a subcontract with an out of state food service company called Centerplate. Earlier this year… the Simons were told their contact would not be renewed and their last day of business would be this week.

Simon says if his contact is not renegotiated and renewed… he may seek opportunities elsewhere. In a release by the contractor – Centerplate – the company says while it respects the Simon family for their business history at Cobo, renewing their contract is not in the best interests of the convention center or its guests.

I’m Rob St. Mary – WDET News.